Sunday 5 August 2018

The sun shines on Marblehead on Saturday



Going to Mass

The Altar at Our Lady Star of the Sea, Marblehead
As the Catholics reading this will know the Church celebrates Sunday from the evening of the night before through the whole day. It is why Vigil Masses are not uncommon, and for the last three years, for logistical reasons, I have attended a Sunday Vigil Mass on Saturday evenings at the smaller of the two churches in our Parish - Our Lady of Lourdes

It is for this reason that I always check for the availability of a Vigil Mass when I am in a new place. I always remember an old lady telling me that she always went to the Vigil Mass as it was "best to get in now, who knows if you'll be alive in the morning." I don't quite adopt that position, but I am reminded of it when I attend Mass on a Saturday Evening for the Sunday.

In Our Lady Star of the Sea, the Parish Church in Marblehead, Saturday evening seems to start early with Mass at 4.00pm. 

I left the hotel at 3.30pm and after a lovely walk in 85F (30C) sun, with all the rain gone, I was at the Church by 3.45pm in time to say some prayers before Mass began at 4.00pm. The Church was very full for the Vigil Mass, with a good mix of congregation from the very young to the very old, including quite a number of young families.

The theme of Mass today is one very close to me heart. With the first reading from Exodus (16:2-4,12-15) telling the story of the Manna in the desert, to the gospel John (6:24-35) talking of the bread from heaven, the true bread.

I often note the difference between US English and UK English and tonight this was particularly striking in the First Reading. Where the American Bible had: "as we sat by our fleshpots and ate our fill of bread" and the Jerusalem Bible, that we use in the UK had: "When we were able to sit down to pans of meat and could eat bread to our heart’s content." Oddly Fleshpots and pans of meat seem very different things for me, so I'm glad I had the UK version on my mobile app, as I'd have misunderstood the point of the reading in the version that was read. 

Anyway, even with the linguistic difference the theme was clear. Bread for the journey, the food of life, the centrality of the Eucharist to Christian faith. I said this was important to me as my faith in the real presence of the Eucharist is what is core and centre to my whole commitment of faith. This year in the UK we are going to celebrate Adoremus, a National Eucharistic Pilgrimage and Congress. A time for all Catholics in England and Wales to renew our faith and commitment to the presence of the Lord. Thankfully in our own Parish we have had Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (the Eucharistic presence of Jesus)  for an hour before Mass on most weekdays, so I have had a blessed opportunity to spend much time in the Lord's presence in preparation to attend the event in Liverpool in September. 

So Mass was a real blessing for me and it was with joy in my heart and a spring in my step that I walked back to the hotel arriving at 5.20pm.

Dinner on Saturday Night


One of the consistent things about my holidays when I fly west is the fact that I suffer from jet lag which has the effect of wiping my brain as the second evening draws on (stand up the person who said, who would notice the difference!!)

Having had incidents when I have fallen asleep while eating and struggled to walk back to our hotel over the years Drew had decided that this year would be different. He would choose where we would eat and make sure we could get safely back.

This allowed him to get to eat Pizza, something we never go out for, and certainly don't cook at home. In advance of our visit to Marblehead he had identified Tony's Pizza as the place to go. Tony, who opened the pizzeria in 1981 is still busy throwing and cooking his pizza's 37 years on.

I opted for Chicken Noodle Soup as a starter and it was rich and enjoyable. One of those homely style soups that can cure all that ails you. It was served with the ubiquitous Oyster Crackers which gave it a lovely crunch as well as the rich homely flavour

Drew opted for a "small" Pizza with pepperoni and jalapeno and I went for a Calzone filled with Italian sausage, red peppers, onions, and cheese and served with a side of rich and spicy tomato sauce. It was yummy.


Tony himself came out and served me my Calzone, a home favourite of his it seems. 

Having got there at 7.00pm, we had finished by 8.00pm and my brain was indeed frazzled. I don't know why this bone weariness, which is different from sleeplessness, occurs after a flight, but I felt it muzzy my brain tonight. 

We got back to the hotel at 9.00pm and I was ready for my bed. That being said I noticed Google Fit telling me that I had walked 27408 steps and 11.07 miles today, which is a bit more that my 4 mile walks on normal weekdays. So underneath the tiredness I must also be fitter than I was at the start of the holiday. Good Night all.


6 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your blogs it makes it feel as if I am experiencing your journey! So glad to hear you are going to Liverpool in September. I am going as well and it will be nice to see a friendly face x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose,

      how nice to know you are going. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going up on the Thursday to be there for Friday to Sunday. How about you, are you there for the whole event. Some people from Cardiff are only going on the Saturday, hence me asking.

      Delete
  2. If anyone is reading this that hasn't seen the corresponding photo stream on Flickr, you are missing a treat! There are some great shots of the stained glass in Our Lady's as well as a lot of other great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, great to see you working your way through the Flickr feed. It is also normally a half day, or a day ahead of the blog. As I do that first. For many people it may just be to much, but I think the photos do complete the sense of the holiday.

      Delete
  3. I remember when you did your tour of the Mediterranean coast by train. The Flickr feed from Monaco, I think, had a photo captioned beguilingly "Haydn in the restaurant before the chair broke". We had to wait a couple of frustrating days for the blog to catch up and tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking just that as I wrote the comment above, I remember you asking what the story was. But the hotel in Monaco had rubbish wi-fi, so you had to wait until Barcelona to find out more :-)

      Delete