Saturday 4 August 2018

Arrival at Marblehead



The Atlantic Coast


As I mentioned in the last post we left Logan Airport, Boston at 7.01pm local time (12.01am in the UK). 

We took the route up the Atlantic Coast as represented in this map:


Boston Airport to Harbor Light Inn, Marblehead
Map copyright of Google

We travelled along the 1A North via Revere and got to a seaside road near Revere Beach and joined the 129 south of Lynn to stay on the seaside. The temperature was 85F (30C) but we were in an air-conditioned car, so didn't mind. 


We then travelled through the pretty towns of Nahant and Swampscott both of which had promenades that were being well used by bikers, walkers and wheelchair users.

We came through Clifton <<co-pilot's note: there's no suspension bridge here!!>> and through the old part of Marblehead arriving at the Harbor Inn, Marblehead at 7.45pm. Where we were welcomed by an extremly friendly lady called Cassandra. She had been to Wales and visited the Italianate Village (Portmeirion) used in the programme The Prisoner

Having given us a tour of the house she suggested the closest and best place for food would be Maddie's Sail Loft, and told us not to go in to the pub downstairs (as she put it "It's a bit local!!", but take the external stairs to the restaurant above. Which we did.


Maddie's Sail Loft



Maggie's Sail Loft stairs


We got to Maddie's at 8.05pm and were seated at a table straight away. It was busy, but the crowed thinned out as we sat and eat. There was a huge top sail running alongside the tables, though we couldn't take a photo of it due to the light, the place was dark in a nice, stylish way. The tables had t-lights as the main light source.

Because the place was so dark, I got Drew's permission to use flash for the photos of the food. He doesn't like doing that (as he thinks it draws attention to us) but needs must. 


Starters

Haydn's Clam Chowder

Drew's Caeser Salad

I had the house Clam Chowder, the whiteness makes it even whiter in flash photography. This was served with oyster crackers, so I felt very Yankee from day 1. The flavour was lovely, rich and full of sea tastes, the bits of clam provided a soft accompaniment to the crunchy crackers.

Drew had a Caesar Salad which had lots of lettuce and parmesan with crutons and a very nice sauce. He was very happy.


Main Course (called Entrees in the USA)

Haydn's Scallop Dinner

Drew's two hot dogs with fries

For mains I opted for what was called a Scallop Dinner, this was a delicious meal of five plumb, slightly grilled, scallops served on a bed of luscious lobster risotto in a lemon butter sauce the chunks of lobster were tasty, and while the butter sauce may have effected my cholesterol level, the lemonyness of it was exceptional. This was served with four stems of asparagus lightly fried.

Drew had Hot Dog, these were two German style Frankfurter sausages each in a lightly grilled bun served with fries. It was a real treat for Drew, as we don't eat this kind of food when at home. <<Co-pilot's note: I've only had one burger in the last twelve months ☹️>> He was very, very happy. 

We walked back to the hotel and Drew took the usual photos of the room and Captain Jack. Jack is below, the other photos can be accessed on Flickr





13 comments:

  1. Poor old Cap'n Jack has feet that look like he has walked all the way whilst you were in business class. I'm sure it was worth it though. Lovely looking accommodation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the accommodation is lovely, and very central for everything here in Marblehead.

      I'll let Drew update on Jack's show repair sometime later in the holiday. His first answer is: "That Janet is as bad as you for hinting when she is really nagging!"

      Delete
  2. Magic descriptions as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, when the experiences are so good, it is easy to describe.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful start to the tour after being treated regally on your flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was Malcolm, today has been great too. Will post a blog about it in the morning.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't one I know, but having been to the Martimes and now to this part of New England I can see the attraction to them coming here. Still moving from fishermen to fishermen.

      Now of course I have an image (and taste) of some different Fisherman's Friends in my mind - one of the few sweets I loved as a child.

      Delete
    2. Your talk of fishing boats, chowder and the like reminded me of a Paul Simon song, Duncan. "My Daddy was a fisherman, my mama was a fisherman's friend. And I was born in the boredom and the chowder. So when I reached my prime I left my home in the Maritimes, headed down the turnpike to New England, sweet New England "

      Delete
    3. It's a hauntingly lovely song, from one of Simon's early solo albums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngH4zZ-oiuY

      Delete
    4. Thanks Robin, a new one on me, but really lovely. I like Simon's work, growing up on the Bridge over Troubled Water album, must listen to more of him. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. You may notice I'm sneaking musical references into your blog already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had. I looked at where I was going and wondered if I might follow the challenge you gave me in the 2013 holiday, but there are far less songs about Canada than about the US, but any bright ideas for future titles would be very welcome.

      Delete